ATTN State of flash and WHEAR DO I AMINATE?!

What version of Flash are you used to?

• Total voters

RSS

Something something making locklegion great again
Staff member
Lock Name™
RSSLock
Reactions
16 6 3
As you know, flash is slowly dying in the browsers so I decided to give you this thread.

tl;dr: pls switch to animate and bump your old fla's to animate's. It will really save up your time and nerves.
I. The state of flash
Flash started to let people down since Adobe bought it but it really started to hit people since version CS4. With new GUI lots of bugs and spontanious crashes were introduced with each and every new version. People became increasingly frustrated but adobe didn't listen much. Later adobe introduced the new version of ActionScript, aimed more for the OOP programming. Adobe also made it worse and axed AS2 in version CS6, which for most people was the only scripting language they knew. It was also discovered that flash player had and probably still has a fair share of the vulnerabilities, so Adobe started to shoot out frequent patches for it, breaking it in the process sometimes. Because of these changes, the modern versions of flash player are unable to properly play swf files with old scripts written on AS1 and AS2. Shockwave player also got axed.

II. Flash player now
Adobe still pushes security patches for the flash player but, there are things to note:
  1. Flash player elements are disabled by default/ in click-to-play mode
  2. NPAPI version of flash player in mozilla firefox is axed
  3. Other browsers will follow soon by axing flash player entirely by 2020
  4. Some of the flash player's setting are inaccessible/are located in hard to reach places
III. What to do
I strongly suggest you
, yes, all of you, animators, to switch to the Adobe animate CC. It can natively produce html5 content for the browsers, gifs, and can natively export to video formats. Recently Adobe also added a vcam tool, pretty much ending existing vcam trend, Z-layers and more advanced layers. All the new features can be reviewed here.
I also strongly suggest to export your animations/scenes directly to videos and edit them together in Premiere/VEGAS (not sony anymore) + After Effects, if you want some vfx.

P.s. All of your fla's shoud be produced by Animate CC, or at least by Flash CS6/CC. Flash is not famous for it's backwards-compatability, so you can't save fla to version lower that 1 (Flash CS6->Flash CS5, Flash CS5->Flash CS4, etc. NOT Flash CS6-> Flash 8)

Last edited:

Lemming

Lock Name™
Lemming
Reactions
2 0 0
I've always used the latest, since MX was the latest.

Lock Name™
ZTEAGH
Reactions
14 2 0
cs3 has always been my goto. i tried cs6 in highschool in a class and it wasn't noticeably different

Wine

Staff member
Lock Name™
Wine
Reactions
19 2 1
im on cs6 and i refuse to switch

Wine

Staff member
Lock Name™
Wine
Reactions
19 2 1
I don't need the others because cs6 is perfect.

Redcherry

Lock Name™
Redcherrylock
Reactions
0 0 0
Oh damn, MX, MX 2005, 8 those were the good times.
Last time I touched flash a couple years ago I used CS6, it was alright but flash is obsolete, I think most people now days use toonboom or Aftereffects.
Right now my favorite version of flash is Excel, those data sheets are tight.

RSS

Something something making locklegion great again
Staff member
Lock Name™
RSSLock
Reactions
16 6 3
Oh damn, MX, MX 2005, 8 those were the good times.
Last time I touched flash a couple years ago I used CS6, it was alright but flash is obsolete, I think most people now days use toonboom or Aftereffects.
Right now my favorite version of flash is Excel, those data sheets are tight.
do you draw anime in it or what?

Wine

Staff member
Lock Name™
Wine
Reactions
19 2 1
Just noticed rss spelled "animate" wrong in the title.

Lock Name™
BB10lock
Reactions
3 0 0
when i first started animating, i used flash MX, but when i got flash 8, i never looked back.

flash 8=PERFECT.

Peach

Staff member
Lock Name™
Peach
Reactions
0 1 0
i'm incredulous that in all these years adobe hasn't done anything to improve on the animation side of flash 8

Smashed

Lock Name™
Smashed
Reactions
1 0 0
i'm incredulous that in all these years adobe hasn't done anything to improve on the animation side of flash 8
It's what they usually do.

Hell, Photoshop's 3D painting was just as bollocks in CS4 as when it was introduced, meanwhile Blender became impressively capable.

Even Z-Brush's 3D painting outstrips Photoshop's and has a more reasonable licensing structure for the price!

Both Adobe and Autodesk are sitting on their laurels these days, they know that they don't have industry competition, do they just update and rehash, then charge what they like.